Thai Sticky Rice – Microwave Style!
This post is a special request from one of my best friends, Jamie. Jamie and I have never once, in all our time as friends, ever hung out without food being involved in some way. Jamie is cooking some crispy Thai style fried chicken tonight and wanted some sticky rice to go with it, so asked me to share my method for the perfect microwave version. Traditionally Thai sticky rice is cooked in a bamboo steamer, but my mother taught me how to achieve the same results in just a smidgen of the time, using a microwave. The cooking time will really depend on the strength, make and model of your microwave so I suggest cooking it for 2 -3 minutes at a time and testing it for doneness.
- 1 cup sticky (glutinous) rice
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon water
- Put the rice in a large bowl of warm water and soak for 20 minutes.
- Drain and put into a microwave safe bowl. Cover with the fresh water and cook on high for 3 minutes.
- Stir and cook for a further 3 minutes before checking for doneness. The water should be fully absorbed and the rice should be cooked through but still somewhat ‘al dente’.